Tuesday, September 9, 1968
We had a slow breakfast and were on our way at 8:50. We drove along the Mosel River. Stopped at Trier to view the Roman ruins—Porta Nigra (city gate), amphitheater, baths, cathedral, and market square. Shortly outside of Trier we crossed the border into Luxembourg.
We stopped at Hamm (3 miles outside of Luxembourg) to see the U.S. Burial Memorial and grounds where 5,000 soldiers of World War II lie. Gen George Patton is buried here. There is a small chapel and two large marble plaques describing the activities of the war. The white crosses and few Jewish stars were lined up so evenly. Everything was so pedicured. As we were leaving a bus of French arrived and the men immediately evacuated by the side of our bus.
On into Luxembourg City which sit high on a hill with a ravine around it. The older part of town is on a hill; the newer surrounds it.
Checked in at The Hotel Cravat. Had a delicious lunch—cheese soufflé, creamed chicken, peas, and potatoes. We bought a charm of The Town Jacob built around 1300. Hiked around town looking at the statue of the first Duke of Luxembourg, the palace where The Grand Duchess resides, on to the cathedral (inside are especially carved pillars), and then to the view area overlooking the ravine. Could see Jacob’s Tower and a taller tower associated with the iron and coal business association (all buildings on the outside are to be done in the old style).
Did a laundry while Joe rested. Dressed and at 5pm went on a walking tour of the city. Walked along the ravine after going down many steps. After dinner we walked with the Skinners and the Whitings and saw the night lights. To bed at 9:30 because we had to arise at 6am the next morn.